Login | December 16, 2017

The Akron Legal News, Akron Ohio, Summit County Ohio

Akron Legal News

 

Akron Legal News Subscriptions

Local


Kent’s old courthouse reconstructed as office space

When the city of Kent decided to build a new courthouse to house the Kent branch of the Portage County court, it turned to a local lawyer to save the old one on Water Street.
Kent attorney John Flynn won the city’s bidding process and is now in the middle of revitalizing the building.
“The city is very gratified t ... (full story)


The lawyer will see you now:
Medical legal team help patients thru Legal Aid’s HEAL program

When it comes to our health, it’s been said that 20 percent is what goes on in a doctor’s office and the other 80 percent happens outside the doctor’s office.
Collaborative programs between the legal and medical community are designed to help patients with the other 80 percent.
Community Legal Aid’s Hea ... (full story)


Trusting journalism in the age of Trump

Last weekend, the New York Times published the latest in a series of jaw-dropping Maggie Haberman/Peter Baker pieces chronicling the inside of President Donald Trump’s White House. Among its least surprising revelations, the story stated that the president watches four to eight hours of cable news per day.
The story also no ... (full story)


Taking justices to task for overreach

When a criminal defendant challenges his conviction on direct appeal, arguing that the state failed to prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, the standard of review for the appellate court is as follows: When viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the state, could any rationale trier of fact find the essential elem ... (full story)


State


Spurned medical marijuana applicant pushes new pot issue

Spurned medical marijuana applicant pushes new pot issue

COLUMBUS (AP) — A high-profile proponent of marijuana legalization who was spurned as an applicant for a medical marijuana grower's license announced plans on Monday for a 2018 Ohio ballot issue to legalize the sale and possession of marijuana.
The proposal from Green Light Acquisitions would make growing, processing, posse ... (full story)


Landowners can challenge increased property tax value placed on woodlands

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled today that landowners who complain that their agricultural lands have been overtaxed may challenge their land values before the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals. In proceedings before the board of tax appeals (BTA), the landowners had sought to challenge current agricultural use values (CAUVs) established by th ... (full story)


Technology


Canadians jump in with legal apps for Word, contract AI

Everything is cool north of the border, and two Canadian legal app developers are here to prove it.
First up is a Word add-in that makes all of a firm’s documents conform to a firm standard. As in—how can a law firm automatically make every lawyer and other document producer create docs that all look like they came fr ... (full story)